Our charities team are specially trained in the strict regulatory framework surrounding the not-for-profit sector.
Stephenson Smart has provided accountancy services to numerous charities, of various sizes and sectors, for many years. We recognise that all charities are different and therefore tailor our services to the requirements of your organisation, taking into account its size and the skills and experience of your trustees and finance staff.
We have a number of staff trained to assist our charity clients, many of whom have experience as charity trustees or volunteers in the not-for-profit sector. All clients are allocated a senior member of our team, which allows relationships to develop with trustees and charity staff.
Charity accountants have to operate in a strict regulatory framework. We can assist your trustees by providing a presentation to explain the roles and responsibilities of Trustees, the significance of restricted and unrestricted funds and the reporting framework.
Charity Accounting Services
As accountants for charities, we are able to provide a complete accounting service, including:
- Preparation of financial statements, ensuring compliance with Charities SORP, charity law and company law (if applicable),
- Independent Examination,
- Advice on accounting software systems,
- Implementation of financial systems and controls,
- Training finance staff,
- Financial management and reporting procedures,
- Advice on VAT and Corporation Tax, including Gift Aid,
- Assistance with budgets, forecasts and cash-flow projections,
- Attendance at AGM and Trustees' meetings as required to provide information and explanations and assist with the interpretation of financial information,
- Ad-hoc reports and investigations.